Monday, November 7, 2022

Why I helped a thief to get bail ?

I was posted at Raipur from 1997 to 2000 . One day a thief was caught by police and was brought to police station Ajadpura for questioning . Although that police station was not under me , I was directed to interrogate the thief .

 When I started questioning the thief , he confessed several thefts in different localities of Raipur . Suddenly his newly wed wife came to me . She had six months  child in her lap . She requested me to discharge his husband . But when I told her that he had confessed so many thefts and it is not possible to let him go . 

She requested me to have conversations with her husband for 5 minutes and they should be left alone . 

I agreed . Both wife and husband were left alone in another room . But we made such arrangements so that we can overhear their private conversation . 

When she entered into the room where her husband thief was already there , she slapped her husband accusing him involved in so many thefts . She was profusely weeping . Intermittently , she was assaulting her husband for committing thefts . Her husband was also repenting . Some time both wept bitterly and some time , both showed angst towards each other .

I overheard that thief was telling her wife that he had no option left for him except to commit thefts to arrange milk for his newly born baby . He could not get jobs. Nor he found work . That he was forced to commit thefts . 

When I overheard the conversation between wife and husband , I got emotionally choked . I called both of them before me . I said that since you had committed crimes , you would not be let free of charges . But I shall make sure that you got bail as soon as possible to look after your family . I arranged bail for him and gave certain amount of money to start his own business of betel shop . 

I did not do any favour to the thief . I did everything for the sake of humanity . A little effort by me saved a family from being destroyed . 

Above story point out the extreme unemployment scenario in our country . It is because of lack of unemployment opportunities that so many crimes are committed in our country . Government must focus upon employment generation by launching rural and urban employment generation programmes . It must stress upon high growth so that size of economy is enlarged . Higher growth would lead to spill over effect upon lower strata of society . 


No comments:

Post a Comment

The economic impact of the British Rule

Disruption of the traditional economy 1.The British Rule in India disrupted the traditional structure of the Indian Economy. The economic po...